|Position Title: Volunteer Counselors||Reports to: Lead Counselor|
|Department: Counseling||Status: Part time|
About Still A Mum
Still A Mum is a registered non-profit Trust in Kenya. Our vision is to create an Africa with lower child deaths and a society where bereaved parents receive outstanding support. Since 2015, we have supported almost 2000 moms and dads who have lost a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth and infant loss. Still A Mum is looking for volunteer counselors to help with us walk with these families for 2019. Our core business at Still A Mum is to comfort and support those who are grieving due to child loss. As such, we are looking for warm and compassionate people.
The volunteer counselors, while reporting to the Lead Counselor will provide counselling to women and men that have suffered child loss during support group sessions (virtual and physical) as well during events held by Still A Mum or our partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet regularly with Lead Counselor for departmental and organizational supervision
- Call clients to arrange counseling sessions
- Respond to all inbox messages through phone or our social media platforms
- Assess individuals and families for the most appropriate counseling services available
- Conduct group counseling sessions in addition to virtual and phone counselling
- Conduct hospitals visits and counseling during events relevant to psycho-social department
- Maintain accurate, timely and confidential records
- Work in a collaborative manner within the team
Research and Evaluation
- Participate in department meetings that evaluate program effectiveness through observation, experience and gathering feedback
- Facilitate data collection as part of standard intake and follow-up procedure
- Respond to inquiries from the community about psycho-social services
- Assist in social media campaigns on awareness creating
- A diploma in counselling—specific training in loss & grief is a plus
- At least six months’ experience in family/loss and grief counselling preferred
- Effective communication and public speaking skills
- Basic computer Literacy especially familiarity with Microsoft Office. Cross-cultural skills including ability to work with people from diverse religious, geographical, and economic backgrounds
- Familiarity with social media platforms such as Facebook and Whatsapp
- Willingness to pitch in when/where needed.
- Upbeat, positive attitude and good sense of humor a plus.
- An understanding of and belief in, the mission of Still A Mum
- Ability to work with compassion and patience with bereaved parents
- Flexibility and willingness to receive calls and respond to messages outside of office hours
- Ability to keep information shared during communications and during sessions confidential
TO APPLY: Please send your CV and Cover Letter by 7th February 2019 close of business as separate PDF attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org Reference “Volunteer Counselor” in the subject line of the email. Failure to adhere to these instructions will be an automatic rejection of your application.