|Position Title: Lead Counselor||Reports to: Program Coordinator|
|Department: Programs||Status: Full time|
About Still A Mum
Still A Mum is a registered non-profit Trust in Kenya. Our vision is to create an Africa with lower child deaths and a society where bereaved parents receive outstanding support. Since 2015, we have supported over 1000 moms and dads who have lost a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth and infant loss. Still A Mum seeks to fill the position of Lead Counselor: Our core business at Still A Mum is to comfort and support those who are grieving due to child loss. As such, we are looking for a warm and compassionate person.
The Lead Counselor will lead and offer guidance to the support group process and provide counselling to women and men that have suffered child loss as well as oversee volunteer counselors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet regularly with Program Coordinator for departmental and organizational supervision
- Respond to all calls that come through our helpline
- Respond to all inbox messages through phone or our social media platforms
- Assess individuals and families for the most appropriate counseling services available
- Conduct physical individual and group counseling sessions in addition to virtual and phone counselling
- Coordinate hospitals visits and partnerships relevant to psycho-social department
- Conduct internship and volunteer orientations as scheduled
- Ensure quality and effectiveness of individual/groups counseling by adhering to the established manual but also add value to existing practices
- Develop appropriate M& E tools for the psycho-social support arm
- Responsible for maintaining accurate, timely and confidential record management
- Facilitate periodic counsellors’ debrief sessions
- Work in a collaborative manner within the team
Research and Evaluation
- Evaluate program effectiveness through observation, experience and gathering feedback
- Facilitate data collection as part of standard intake and follow-up procedures
- Assist in development and oversight of the program curriculum, activities and materials.
- Assist Program Coordinator with volunteer recruitment and training.
- Oversee assignment of volunteers to individuals & groups
- Respond to inquiries from the community about psycho-social services
- Assist in social media campaigns on awareness creating
- Accompany the Executive Director or Program Coordinator on TV and other media interviews
- Develop new partnerships with institutions, corporate, government and other stakeholders
- Supervise all counselors, staff and volunteers in the psycho-social support department
- A diploma in counselling—specific training in loss & grief is a plus
- At least one year experience in family/loss and grief counselling preferred
- Leadership skills: Ability to lead a team, develop deliverables for team members, supervise and evaluate them
- Effective communication and public speaking skills
- Basic computer Literacy especially familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Cross-cultural skills including ability to work with people from diverse religious, geographical, and economic backgrounds
- Monitoring and Evaluation: ability to evaluate program effectiveness through observation, experience, gathering feedback and data collection
- Familiarity with social media platforms such as Facebook and Whatsapp
- Willingness to pitch in when/where needed.
- Upbeat, positive attitude and good sense of humor a plus.
- An understanding of and belief in, the mission of Still A Mum
- Ability to work with compassion and patience with bereaved parents
- Flexibility and willingness to receive calls and respond to messages outside of office hours
- Ability to keep information shared during communications and during sessions confidential
TO APPLY: Please send your CV and Cover Letter by 14th November 2018 close of business as separate PDF attachments to email@example.com Reference “Lead Counselor” in the subject line of the email. Failure to adhere to these instructions will be an automatic rejection of your application.